Slide Into Home With Your Hair On Fire

by Laurie Foley on November 18, 2010

This is not a post about peace and zen. I am not touching my fingertips together and saying Om. I have no wisdom whatsoever about how to be a calmer person.

I just have one thing to say about not enough time, too much to do and feeling frantic and overwhelmed: slide into home with your hair on fire.

That’s exactly what I was doing at 1 a.m. last night when I was creating the final materials for the last day of my current blog class. I didn’t want to be up at that hour; I prefer sleep. But earlier in the day, I was driving to Scouts, buying stuff to make the mandatory ten dozen items for the school bake sale and doing work that pays me by the hour.

I’m not bitching. I’m just saying that sometimes doing what it takes to get things done is a freak show of frenetic activity and long hours. But even with a broken internet connection and copy that could have used more proof-reading, I slid right into home. In total flames.

Maybe you think “in flames” means “a bad thing.” I might have, too, if I still believed everything had to be perfect. “It was perfect or it was toast” was my old view.

I don’t look at things that way now. Instead I now see toast as plenty good enough because toast represents DONE. Toast means that I can test and try ideas and see what might catch fire in a good way. Flames are exactly how things happen, while you’re working on them AND after they find an audience.

The bloggers in my class have been burning the midnight oil, too.

The theme song for the Blog More, Stress Less class was “Bring the Funk.” I’ve replayed that song more than a few times as I stayed up late to give feedback on blog posts for participants. I love the line “we’re gonna turn this muth-a out.” The bloggers in class sure turned it out. I was in awe of how many of them caught fire.

Here’s just a sample of what I’ve been sipping as I watched them light it up. (There were so many more who don’t have live blogs yet, but they’re here in spirit, too.)

It’s quite a bonfire when a whole bunch of people slide into home with their hair on fire.

We’re going to need marshmallows. Lots of marshmallows.

image credit: muffet

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Theresa Robbins November 18, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I don’t just love this post because you mention my blog along with the others from this amazing class (although that’s good, too). I love this because I have been sliding into home with my hair on fire more times than I can count! Letting go of things needing to be perfect, testing and trying, living and learning are all lessons that I put into practice everyday. It ain’t always easy and it ain’t always pretty, but it’s a helluva a lot better than sittin’ in the stands.

On my way with a truckload of marshmallows!
Theresa

Helen Samson Mullen November 18, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Laurie Foley, you’ve done it again! Brilliant. Your blogging class was absolutely exceptional. In fact I’m going to go as far as to say it’s one of the best, if not the best, class I have ever taken. Your feedback on our posts, your excellent materials and inspired content. You blew me away. And from someone who wears her hair short to limit the fire damage – you light up this world with your genius, your generosity, excellence and I’m a fully fledged signed-up fan for life.

ps Thanks so much for posting my blog on your list. I’m deeply touched. In fact, I may want to go and blog about it…..
.-= Helen Samson Mullen´s last blog ..Soaring Above Circumstance =-.

Laurie November 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Ladies! I love you both! I’m passing out the slightly kinked coat hangers now for the marshmallows – yum.
.-= Laurie´s last blog ..Slide Into Home With Your Hair On Fire =-.

Melanie Marx November 18, 2010 at 2:50 pm

OMG…Fabulous post I love, love it! Being an on-fire sort of being myself and all! What an incredible thing to see all the fire generated in this class, Laurie! I am with Helen…probably the best class I have EVER taken. I have been writing my entire life and EVERYTHING about my writing changed during this class. Most especially the efforting, stress and Herculean hardness of it. This feels like the most beautiful, illuminating end possible!
You ARE the real deal!
.-= Melanie Marx´s last blog ..The Altar of Not Enough =-.

Darliss O'Donnell November 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Thank you, Laurie! For the wonderful class, the accountability and the feedback that I needed to really make a commitment to my writing. I’ll always have you to thank for lighting that fire.

I’ll bring the chocolate bars! Who’s got the graham crackers?

Laurie November 18, 2010 at 4:36 pm

S’more! Oh yeah! Thanks, Darliss and Melanie. You both shine.
.-= Laurie´s last blog ..Slide Into Home With Your Hair On Fire =-.

Darliss O'Donnell November 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Yes! We definitely want S’more! (Pun intended)
.-= Darliss O’Donnell´s last blog ..Who Are Your Seven =-.

Florence November 18, 2010 at 6:43 pm

What brilliant company you keep!
.-= Florence´s last blog ..Holiday Dreams =-.

Nona November 19, 2010 at 8:31 am

Love, Love, LOVE this post — I couldn’t agree more! Just gittin it done, hair on fire or no, is sometimes just the way things are. And you actually sound pretty damn zen about it from my perspective. ommmm.

xoxo.n

ps. thanks for putting me on the list with this amazing group of women and for being such a kick-ass teacher!
.-= Nona´s last blog ..Lessons from the first year =-.

debi johnson November 20, 2010 at 3:11 am

Love this honest post about living life and getting things done. You rock! Your blogging course has been one of the most rewarding courses I have ever taken. I think the biggest thing that I am taking with me is that I realized just how much I love to write and create around my writing (such as, finding the right title and image). I found myself totally engrossed in writing so much that I got lost in the joy of it. I forgot about time. I have quilting friends that LOVE, LOVE quilting; I decided that writing is my quilting.

Debi :)

Laurie Foley November 21, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Love that engrossed feeling, Debi!
.-= Laurie Foley´s last blog ..Slide Into Home With Your Hair On Fire =-.