Gone Fishing

by Laurie Foley on August 27, 2012

One of the things I love about small town businesses is that they can just scotch tape a sign to the window when they shut down for a break. “Gone fishing… See you tomorrow.” Or “Picking up the kids from school… back in 15 minutes.”

This is my “gone fishing” post.

Last week I found out that I am soon to begin treatment for what is presumed to be ovarian cancer (presumed because the final pathology will happen during surgery). Thanks to oncologists who are utterly devoted to helping women conquer something that sneaks up with virtually no warning, I’ll say goodbye to all non-essential organs, be “debulked” of as many abnormal growths as possible, and (hopefully) soaked with some radical heated chemo to slay the micro dragons that have set up camp in my body’s core. I’m making friends with more chemo for however long it takes. As my doc said, “Surgery doesn’t cure this; chemo can.”

Can I believe this is happening? No. Just no. But here’s what I do believe with my true core: healing is possible.

Deciding to hang the gone fishing sign here while I recover from the surgery and find some rhythm with the chemo process has been really hard. Grief. Anger. Frustration. I have worked hard – and with great joy – over the last few years to build communities and projects like Courage Studio that I love. My business model has been humming.

I had just gotten my micro-biz airplane to the right altitude for me, and things were cruising. Now there is a wild terrorist on board and I need to make an emergency landing. My intention now is simply to land this plane as gracefully as possible. Rest is what optimally leads to healing, and rest is what I shall do.

If you would like to go fishing with me, you can follow my progress toward healing at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lauriefoley.

In my family we like to leave a radio playing in the house when we’re gone for a while. “Take Me to the River” is the first “gone fishing” song the radio will be playing for this trip because everything is better with Al Green.

{ 44 comments… read them below or add one }

Dani Webb August 28, 2012 at 9:00 am

Oh Laurie-

I’m so sorry to hear of this. I will be sending you many prayers of healing and rest. And I have no doubt when your recover, that plane will be back to cruising altitude in no time. If you want to fly…

Love to you, beauty—
Dani

Jess Ryan Gostin August 28, 2012 at 9:03 am

Sending you as much love and healing as I can possibly summon. I admire you so much. You completely inspire me, every day, without even knowing it! I have not one ounce of doubt that you will kick this thing’s a$$. Sending you love Laurie.

Shea McGuier August 28, 2012 at 9:18 am

Laurie,

What rotten news to get when you’ve finally hit cruising altitude. However, it sounds like you have a great team on your side to help you through this process. Hang in there, sister!

If there is anything I can to do be of help while you go fishing, just say the word.

Big hugs,
🙂 shea

Kathy Barrett August 28, 2012 at 9:58 am

Hi Laurie:
My mother fought the “C-Monster” (as she liked to call it) against Ovarian cancer for 5 years. I was just pulling out my teal ribbon to wear for September when I saw your blog post. I will not only display my teal next month in honor of my mother, but also for your fight…..which I have no doubt you will win!
Much love and loads of prayers coming your way
Kathy Barrett

Melissa August 28, 2012 at 10:03 am

Laurie,

I’m sure you’re processing a range of emotions. The perspective you’ve conveyed in this post seems noble, beautiful, strong, and full of inner light.

It dawned on me today that you (your heart, mind, soul, and body) are now your own, very personal Courage Studio.

Sending lots of love and light your way (and will be daily).

Melissa

Allison August 28, 2012 at 10:29 am

Sending the strongest positive healing vibes I can muster. Hang in there, lady.

Darcy Eikenberg, ACC August 28, 2012 at 10:38 am

Laurie, we’re all in your corner, ready for the fish to be caught, cleaned, and packed away so the sign can come off the door and the next adventure begin. Sending much love.

Always,
Darcy Eikenberg, Atlanta

Kathy Gonzales August 28, 2012 at 11:47 am

Laurie: Sending love. Al Green is a good place to start. Heart and soul. Each moment it can keep us warm and free. Go there often and always. I’ll keep you in my prayers that you stay with your core and will return there when you leave it momentarily.

Terry DeMeo August 28, 2012 at 11:50 am

Sending you so much love and light, Laurie. Sounds like you have the best possible attitude, and we all know that counts for so much, if not all, of what is going to transpire. Meanwhile, we’ll be waiting for your return.

XOXO
Terry

rebecca @ altared spaces August 28, 2012 at 11:56 am

I just heard your news. My cousin had this same diagnosis. Love your music choices for healing. I’ll be singing in my home and sending you the melody.

Patricia Neal August 28, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Lots of love, Laurie! I am thinking of you and praying for you!

Becky Richardson August 28, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Laurie,
Lots of love to you. I know you will be OK. There is no other possible outcome. Of course, you know how magic works 😉

I love this song, but I am used to the “Commitments” version with the background singers, etc. Have you heard that one or seen the movie? Love it 🙂

Rest and Heal,
Becky

Pamela Slim August 28, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Cancer: you picked the wrong lady. She will win!

Somehow, some way, you will find a way through this. I hope all of our cheers and love will remind you that you are never alone. I am here if you need to yell, scream, sob or celebrate.

Cancer can be beat. And you will beat it.

Love you so much.

-P

Aimée August 28, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Dear Laurie,
Sending you lots of love and light and anything that heals!
Aimée

Jonna Templar August 28, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Laurie — Go, fight, WIN! You have an awesome attitude and that is so important. Much love and light to you as you go on this journey. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Jonna

David Cohen August 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Laurie – you are awesome and my thoughts prayers and all the healing vibes I can send your way are with you. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Don’t hesitate to let me know.

Jennifer Voss August 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I’ve been thinking about you all day, friend, and here’s what my intuition says… those inner archetypes of yours are gathering for a love fest: your inner destroyer will become an ally with your brilliant doctors to get rid of that which doesn’t serve, your inner teacher will begin instructing new cell growth to be strong and whole, your inner networker will begin creating a symphony of connection in your body so that each part of you works in tandem with the next to promote healing. And so forth. And I’ve employed my inner magician to work some prayer magic. Love you!!

Janice Masters, The Everyday Joy Coach August 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm

…as my young friends here on FB say FKCNCR!! I am sending you Light for the path you are walking now, and Fortitude and Grace for the healing. I am hoping that this is an early stage and will be treated swiftly and fully! Blessings!

Megan Potter August 28, 2012 at 3:11 pm

My Love,

As the wife of a survivor (making me a survivor of sorts) may I just assure you that you are right where you need to be to get the juiciest bits out of life. Cancer Fing Sucks – but it has opened an abundance of gifts into our lives on the other side so I offer myself as a reminder, a flag of sorts, in your life that the Universe does indeed have your back – even when Chemo makes you want to cry and give up and you are screaming at the sky and everything seems hard and horrible (cause sometimes there are those days in cancer) know, the Universe (and I – or Us here, really) we have your back.

Holding Space for you over here,
Megan

Linda Ford August 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Just heard your news Laurie. Sending you lots of love during these extraordinary times. Just remember that your body WANTS to heal. Much love to you.

claudia b August 28, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Well i too am glad for the pure brilliance of “Gone Fishing” mentality, because–of course Yes —you wanna muster your time, your energy, your heart and your head for this Focus Point. Just go into this Fishing-time, knowing that you are circled with love & gratitude & such great respect & fondness & that some study, strong folks are *on your side*. Breathe in, breathe out…and know that you are loved~~

Nathalie Bertrand August 28, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Laurie, I’m really sorry to ear that you have this invador to deal with! But at the same time I really really loke the way you adress this situation. You’ve shown me that in the face of terror, you can come up with a brave courageous attitude that will ultimately scare the hell out of this bug!
I will send healong energy and strenght your way. May the force be with you! Always 😉
Nathalie

Laurie Dromerick August 28, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Dear Laurie,

Lots of love, light and prayers. You “own courage” and it is that special courage that will guide you back to health. Much Love.

Laurie

kelly pratt August 28, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I came across a journal entry today from 2005 – i’d written that the song in my mind when I woke up was “This Lady’s not Home Today” by Melissa Manchester — “right now I’m relighting my fuses and tending to my bruises and trying to find my direction lord” — now I know why that entry today – it was a message for you.
xoxo
kelly

Louise Thompson August 29, 2012 at 2:33 am

Laurie, so sad to hear this. I absolutely know the body is a healing machine and you will beat it. Stay strong and know you are being sent love from people around the world who’s lives you have touched with your work.
LOve and light to you,
Louise x

Iris August 29, 2012 at 5:20 am

Dear Laurie, hanging up that sign is indeed the best thing to do; take good care of yourself. It will be a fecking rocky road, but know that YOU ARE LOVED and YOU ARE CHERISHED. <3 Iris

Stacy August 29, 2012 at 10:20 am

((hugs)), Laurie. I’m so sorry this is happening. I’ll be thinking of you and your family often.

Ned Rios August 29, 2012 at 11:13 am

Laurie
You are in my thoughts and prayers. And in my heart I feel, ” and this too shall pass.”
A huge hug of love for you through this journey.

Waiting for your return.
Ned

hatt August 29, 2012 at 11:14 am

Hi Laurie,
I am an extended member of the tribe. I just want to offer my assistance to your already rockin’ healing journey. I am a currently resting hospital chaplain, if you need a person to speak with, whom you don’t know (sometimes this is really helpful along the healing path,) I’m your gal. I offer this because I have been reading your posts for a while and I appreciate you. Everything confidential, and at no charge, of course. Betsy Pearson could vouch for me… Anyway, another support might be the healing meditations of Belleruth Naparstak (love her name) from Health Journeys CDs. Blessings!

Kelly Burkhart August 29, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I know I’m joining an amazing circle of supporters as I send you love, light and rest for your journey through the healing process. Looking forward to your return!

adele wang August 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Hi Laurie,
So sorry to hear of this news! Sending you lots of light and positive vibes.

Sincerely,
Adele

Ellen August 29, 2012 at 4:57 pm

The whole Hodges gang is pulling for you kiddo. Good luck!
Love,
Cousin Ellen

Lizzie Larock August 29, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Oh goodness, Laurie. I’m shocked to read this, thinking of you and sending love, healing and cancer ass kicking vibes. You are so fantastic and I am always in awe of you. xo

Lin E August 30, 2012 at 8:51 am

Dearest Laurie,
As you face this AFGO of epic proportions, I am praying for you with all my heart. Much love to you and your family my sweet friend. 😉 I just know you’ll have so much more to teach us all.

Colleen Troy August 30, 2012 at 11:21 am

It’s ginormous Laurie, both your honesty and courage in taking charge of your body/spirit. The love and healing surrounding you is ginormous as well. Blessings.

Alexandra Amor September 1, 2012 at 1:19 am

Hi Laurie, I’m a cadet from the January 2012 MBI class and I attended your business building class with Michelle Woodward at the Summit in March. I loved that class and have followed you and Michelle ever since. I loved your generosity of spirit and how genuine and kind you were as you taught us. I could tell that what you were sharing was meaningful to you and that you wanted what was best for all the new coaches in the room. I really appreciated your transparency and support. I wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you every day, holding you and your family in my heart and saying a prayer/intention for you every night before I go to sleep. With love, Alexandra

Harmony Harrison September 4, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Laurie, I’m sending lots of love and healing energy. I have a good friend who overcame ovarian cancer quite a few years ago now, and she’s robust and strong and filled with the fizz of life. She spends most of her spare time hanging out with horses and lives with gusto and courage. I’m choosing to see you alight with that same elan (horses optional). *hugs*

Sherrie St. Cyr September 5, 2012 at 7:25 am

Love and light to you on your healing journey.

Dana September 5, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Laurie – sending you lots of love and healing prayers. You can do this!

David Meriwether September 6, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Laurie,
David Crites sent word about you. I can tell by your latest blog post that your attitude has not been affected! You are always such an encourager – even now for others.

I am thinking and praying for you!
David

Jennifer Moore Myers September 10, 2012 at 9:05 am

Hi Laurie,
Sending you healing thoughts and prayers. You are strong, and you can do this!

Jennifer

Susan Foster September 18, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Remembering you in thoughts and prayers daily. We love you!

JOHN AND LAVONNE PEDERSEN September 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Sorry to hear. You in are prays. Love J&L

Veronica November 13, 2014 at 4:57 am

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for this really awesome post. I really enjoy reading your story.